Answers from last week’s challenge
1. The resurrection is the celebration of the rising of Jesus from the dead.
2. Jesus was buried in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea.
3. The shell of the Easter Egg represents the tomb.
4. The disciple that arrived first to Jesus’ tomb was St. John.
5. The Bible says that the first person to see Jesus after He rose from the dead was Mary Magdalene.
6. After Jesus rose from the dead He stayed on earth for 40 days before He ascended into Heaven.
Easter is the celebration of Jesus rising from the dead, the Resurrection. On Good Friday Jesus died on the Cross and He was buried in the tomb of a man named Joseph of Arimathea. Jesus rose from the dead on Easter Sunday. Each year Christians all over the world remember this important event in history. Jesus conquered death and made it possible for all people to have a new life in Him.
Origin of Easter Eggs
In the past, people were not allowed to eat eggs during Lent. They would do this as a penance to offer a sacrifice to God. So when it came time for Easter, eggs were put out on the table for everyone to enjoy. They were often painted in bright colours to celebrate the joy of Easter. People would get their eggs blessed by a priest and give them away to friends. Eggs are also a symbol of new life. Inside each egg there is a new life growing. When Jesus rose from the dead He brought new life to all people. Easter Eggs are a symbol of the new life we have in Jesus. Just as new life comes forth from the egg shell, Jesus came forth from the tomb.
1. What is the Resurrection?
2. Whose tomb was Jesus buried in?
3. Easter Eggs are a symbol of Jesus’ Resurrection. What does the shell represent?
4. Which disciple arrived first to the tomb after Jesus rose from the dead?
5. Who does the Bible say was the first person to see Jesus after He rose from the dead?
6. After Jesus rose from the dead, how many days did He stay on earth before He went to Heaven?
On Good Friday Jesus died on the Cross. He died on the Cross because He loves us. Jesus was in the tomb from 3 days. On Easter Sunday, Jesus rose from the dead. He came back to life again. This is called the Resurrection.
At Easter people give eggs to each other as gifts. Eggs are a symbol of new life. Inside each egg there is a new life growing. Just as new life comes from the egg, Jesus came out of the tomb when He rose from the dead.
1. When did Jesus die on the Cross?
a) Easter Sunday b) Holy Thursday c) Good Friday
2. Why did Jesus die on the cross?
a) He loves us b) He could not get away c) King Herod put Him there
3. What are eggs a symbol of?
a) death b) new life c) forgiveness
4. Which one of Jesus’ Disciples was with Him when He died on the cross?
a) St. Peter b) St. John c) St. James