St. Francis of Assisi
Answers from last week's challenge
1. There have been 266 Popes since St. Peter.
2. Before Pope Francis became Pope his name was George Bergoglio.
3. When God called St. Francis he gave his money to the poor.
4. Pope Francis is from Argentina.
5. The female saint who started the woman’s branch of the Franciscans is St. Clare.
6. The three vows that a Religious Brother or Sister takes are chastity, poverty and obedience.
St. Francis of Assisi
On March 13th Pope Francis was elected as the 266th successor of St. Peter. Before he was elected, Pope Francis was a cardinal in Buenos Aires and his name was George Bergoglio. He chose the name Francis after the great saint of Assisi, Saint Francis.
Saint Francis was born in 1181 in Assisi, Italy. He was the son of a rich cloth merchant and was given a good education. When he was a young man God spoke to him and asked him to leave the world and follow Him. So St. Francis gave all his money to the poor and left everything to follow Jesus. He went around doing good works and helping the sick. Other men began to follow him and he gathered around himself a group of brothers who are known today at the Franciscans.
St. Francis had a great love for creation and God gave him the ability to communicate with animals. One day St. Francis saw a group of birds and he stopped to talk to them and tell them about God. They listened to him and then began to praise God in their own way and St. Francis blessed them. Once there was a mean wolf who was terrorizing a town and all the people were afraid. St. Francis talked to the wolf and told him that if he was nice to the people the people would be nice to him. St. Francis and the wolf shook hands. After that the wolf became the nicest wolf around and was the pet of the town. St. Francis died on October 4th, 1226.
1. How many Popes have there been since St. Peter?
2. What was Pope Francis’ name before he became Pope?
3. What did St. Francis do with his money when God called him?
4. What country is Pope Francis from?
5. What is the name of the female Saint who started the women’s branch of Franciscans?
6. There are 3 vows that a Religious Brother or Sister take. What are these 3 vows?
On March 13th a new Pope was elected in the Catholic Church. His name is Pope Francis. Pope Francis took his name after Saint Francis of Assisi. St. Francis was born in Italy. He loved God so much that he gave all his money to the poor and became a brother. St. Francis lived his life doing good works and helping the sick.
St. Francis loved all of God’s creation. God have St. Francis the ability to speak to animals. One day St. Francis saw some birds in a tree. He called the birds over to Him and started to talk to the birds about God. The birds all began to praise God in their own way. Another time there was a mean wolf who was scaring a town full of people. St. Francis talked to the wolf and told him to be nice to the people. The wolf agreed to be nice and shook St. Francis’ hand. After that the wolf became the nicest wolf and everyone loved him and took care of him.
1. What is the name of our new Pope?
a) Benedict b) John Paul c) Francis
2. What did St. Francis do with his money when he became a brother?
a) built a house b) gave it to the poor c) hid his money under a tree
3. What animals in the story did St. Francis talk to?
a) dog and cat b) cow and duck c) bird and wolf
4. What country is the new Pope from?
a) Canada b) Italy c) Argentina