Answers from last week’s challenge
1. The Blessed Virgin Mary appeared in Fatima on May 13th, 1917.
2. The names of the three children who Mary appeared to were Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta.
3. The children were told to come back and visit Mary on the 13th of each month for six months.
4. 70, 000 people saw the Miracle of the Sun.
5. Of the three children, Lucia lived to an old age.
6. The bullet that shot Pope John Paul II is now in the crown of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima in Portugal.
Our Lady of Fatima
May 13th is a special day for all people in the Catholic Church, especially for those of Portuguese background. Why? On May 13th, 1917 the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to three children in Fatima, Portugal. The children were Lucia, 10, and her two cousins, Francisco, 9, and Jacinta, 7, who were brother and sister. The three children were taking care of the sheep in the field when suddenly they saw a flash of lightening and a lady appeared standing on a small holm oak tree. The lady was dressed in white and shined like the sun. The lady said that she came from Heaven and wanted the children to come back on the 13th of each month for six months.
Over the next few mother the children discovered that the lady was the Blessed Virgin Mary. She told them to pray the Rosary every day and to offer many prayers and sacrifices for sinners.
On October 13th, the last visit, there were 70 000 people gathered together with the children. God allowed a miracle to take place for the people to believe and the sun spun around in the sky and came crashing towards the earth but then went back up into the sky. This is called the Miracle of the Sun. After this happened, many people were healed of their diseases.
Today there is a large Church in Fatima where the Blessed Virgin appeared and she is honoured under the title of Our Lady of Fatima. Many people visit this Church today and still receive healings from God.
1. What month and year did the Blessed Virgin Mary appear in Fatima?
2. What were the names of the three children who Mary appeared to?
3. How often were the children told to come back and visit Mary?
4. How many people say the Miracle of the Sun?
5. Two of the children died very young and one lived to an old age. Which of the three children lived to an old age?
6. In 1981 an attempt was made to kill Pope John Paul II. He believes that Our Lady of Fatima saved his life. The bullet that shot the Pope was put in a very special place. Where is that bullet today?
On May 13th, 1917 the Blessed Virgin Mary came down from Heaven to a little town in Portugal called Fatima. She appeared to three shepherd children named Lucia, 10, Francisco, 9 and Jacinta 7. She told them that she came from Heaven and that they would be going to Heaven one day. She wanted them to say prayers and offer sacrifices so that all people can go to Heaven.
The Blessed Virgin Mary wanted all people to know that she was really coming from Heaven to Portugal and so on her last visit a miracle happened. There were many, many people gathered together and suddenly the sun began to spin around and around in the sky and then it came crashing down to the earth. Before it hit the earth it went back up into the sky again. Many people saw this and knew that Mary was really appearing. This is called the Miracle of the Sun.
1. When did Mary come down from Heaven to Fatima?
a) May 3rd, 1917 b) May 13th, 1917 c) March 13th, 1917
2. What country is Fatima in?
a) Canada b) France c) Portugal
3. How old was Jacinta when Mary appeared to her?
a) 10 b) 7 c) 9
4. What is the name of the miracle where the sun spun around in the sky?
a) The Miracle of the Sun b) The Spinning of the Sun c) The Miracle of Mary